Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Introducing Kit

Blogger Sharon suggested that I introduce my younger cat, Kit, since I had previously written about my older cat, Fermata (see Meet My Alarm Clock).

Like his brother, Kit was a pet store purchase. He was the culmination of a ten-month search to replace Theodore, our elderly cat who died (see Meet My Alarm Clock). We had looked at several kittens that were born to friends’ felines during the spring of 2004, but to no avail. We just didn’t find that special personality that would thrive in our home. You know: smart, cute, quirky enough to make life interesting and incredibly amusing, and cuddly enough to endure hours of attention. As a last resort, we checked the same pet store that had given us Fermata. Jackpot.

Kit was about two months old when we first saw him. He was living in the “kitty cage” at our local pet store with several other cats, one of which really caught our eye because he resembled our first feline friend, Alex. Alex was an orange and white tabby who lived with my husband when we began dating. Part dog and part cat, this kitty would come when my husband called, even if he was prowling the neighborhood a block from the house; yet, he disliked anyone or anything that supplanted him as King of the Universe. The latter was where I made my mistake. Apparently, girlfriends were forbidden. The bachelors were happy and women really had no place in the home. Fortunately, my husband disagreed with his cat. But I digress. Not comfortable with intense owner affection, the orange tabby cage-mate was rejected as a good fit for our home. Someone else found him to be the perfect fit, though, because a few days later, he was gone.

Kit, on the other hand, stayed a little longer while we contemplated our purchase. He demonstrated a bit of attitude while residing at the pet store, attitude that my husband liked because it reminded him of Alex. I wasn’t so sure. Kit was cute, no doubt, but I feared that he and Fermata would be at permanent odds with each other because of their strong personalities. Fortunately, I was wrong. Kit is the best thing that ever happened to Fermata. They are best buddies who keep each other on their toes. They nap together, play together, and together they stalk the local bird life --- our pet cockatiel, Peppy.

But that’s a story for another day. :)

No comments: