Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

About the Resident Duck

In an effort to declutter the sidebar of my blog, I have summarized the personal information that used to reside there. It will now be available through a link, instead of as a long list.
----------------------------
Despite what the personal information listed below may say about me, I am nothing more than an ordinary middle-aged woman who enjoys interacting with people, especially to learn and to teach. I tend to put the needs of others before my own and that of my house. I hate chores and housekeeping but, when push comes to shove, I will eventually pick up my abode and wash my clothes. I also dislike exercise, although I will eventually do something (like walk or ride a stationary bike) because I know it is good for me. Still, I would much rather read a book, visit a museum, watch a movie, eat at a restaurant, or spend time with family and friends. I love peanut butter and onion rings and the gingerbread cakes from Colonial Williamsburg. My favorite holiday is Christmas, which (in my opinion) should extend from Halloween to Twelfth Night. My greatest joy is my child and my greatest challenge is prayer. I love the Triune God of confessional Christianity and am grateful that He has blessed me with such an abundant life.

My blog was inspired by a little-known children’s book titled Gooseberry Lane by Bethany Tudor. Two characters from that story, Samuel and Samantha Plush Duck, travel the lane in search of a new home after their cardboard box house melts in a rainstorm. Along the way, they meet Gweek, Mr. Owl, a woodpecker, and some chipmunks, new friends who assist them in their efforts to rebuild their life. I feel like those ducks sometimes --- a lot of the time, actually --- challenged by the unexpected events that have arisen over the years and the daily tasks of life that pressure us all. Yet, with the help of God, my family, my friends, my neighbors, and (occasionally) some hired hands, I manage, at least, to tread water.

My formal education
- Graduate Fairmont Senior High School
- B.A. Political Science from Mankato State University
- B.A. Economics from Mankato State University
- Law school coursework at University of San Diego
- MBA coursework at various institutions

My life roles
- Mother to Katherine the Great
- Stay-at-home mom
- Handbell choir parent/groupie
- Homeschool educator
- Coordinator of homeschool support group
- Wife to King Richard III
- Spouse of cancer survivor
- Retired Navy wife
- Manager of small household
- Family chauffeur et valet
- Owner of three cats & a cockatiel
- Daughter to one surviving parent & one who resides in heaven
- Friend to a chosen few
- Practicing Christian
- Sometimes Sunday School teacher

Other personal descriptors
- Lifelong learner
- Native Minnesotan
- New England transplant
- Bibliophile
- Movie lover
- Music lover
- Puttering pianist
- Former harpist
- Aspiring handbell ringer
- History buff
- Genealogical hobbyist
- Cycling fan
- Very late Baby Boomer/Very early Gen Xer

Last, but not least, I provide the genealogical surnames of my family for the benefit of other genealogy fans who may surf by my blog: Becker, Behrens, Bohlman, Breece, Conner, Cook, Forsythe, Franck, Henkel, Jastram, King, McKenzie, Nimz, Raddue, Schuldt, Stolte, Studer, Wiedow.

And my real name? Michele King

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Plush Duck. I am new to blogging and got to your site through a mutual interest...genealogy. However, after reading your blog, we have a lot in common; reading, christianity, one parent in heaven and one here, I put others ahead of myself, I hate exercise, I am in the field of education, I am a middle aged mom & wive, avid reader, love museums, hate halloween but love Christmas, New Englander, history buff, my hubby survived melanoma and I survived pancreatic cancer.
And OH MY GOSH.......my hubby and I always begin with "by the way" whenever we have something to communicate.

Karen Diebolt
Angels Watching Over Me