Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Accountability Update NOV/DEC 2006

If you are new to Gooseberry Lane, Accountability Updates track my progress in achieving two goals in my life: reducing the amount of time it takes to finish organizational/remodeling projects in my home and reducing the amount of money my household spends on restaurant expenditures (see Restaurant Addiction). The rating scale for these updates is as follows:

1: Failed miserably. No progress whatsoever.
2: Tried, but couldn’t do it. No significant progress.
3: Making progress. Halfway there.
4: Came close. More effort needed.
5: Did it! All goals met.

Today, I look back at November and December 2006 to evaluate my progress. In the months where I marked the first anniversaries of my father’s passing and the death of my daughter’s Sunday School classmate, the return of my darling husband from eight weeks of work travel, and the craziness of the holiday season, I had some challenging “mood days” to overcome. Unfortunately, those days usually meant less progress around the house and greater restaurant temptations. November was worse than December but, thankfully, I made it through both. God is surely faithful.

HOME ORGANIZATION
Overall rating: 1

Rather than working on any home organization projects, November and December were focused on preparing for the holidays. I managed to have most of the gift shopping finished before Thanksgiving. Good thing, too, as I fell ill with a nasty upper respiratory infection that zapped every ounce of physical and mental energy I had. With the help of others, I managed to get the tree decorated, the gifts purchased, and Christmas dinner on the table, though. It wasn’t fancy, but it got done.

Seeing as my plan for November included clearing the kitchen table, devising a maintenance plan to keep the table clear, and refinishing the chalkboard, I must say I failed miserably. Maybe I shouldn’t have planned anything since Christmas preparations around here begin in earnest around Halloween. Lesson learned for next year.

RESTAURANT EXPENDITURES
Overall rating: 2

Both November and December saw travel expenses from King Richard. He jaunted off to Virginia and Washington, the former for a few months, the latter for a few days. Of course, when that happens, I am always tempted to eat out. It provides social time, it reduces my workload, and it keeps me from eating leftover tuna casserole for eight days straight. December was lower, not because of discipline and self-control on my part, but because the entire household was ill the aforementioned upper respiratory infection and was couldn’t go out. Anyway, the final numbers for the latter half of 2006 are as follows:

November 2006: $1041.81
December 2006: $776.56

Amazingly enough, even with these ridiculous statistics, my household paid for Christmas out of cash flow alone. No credit cards needed.

I had no plans for January in either category, but watch for the update sometime next week. I will try to be prompt with it this year.

Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established. --- Proverbs 16:3 NASB

No comments: