Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Another Christmas Carol List

When my daughter read the Top 25 Most-Performed Holiday Songs For The First Five Years of the 21st Century, she decided to make her own list of favorite Christmas carols. Here it is. Enjoy!

1. I Saw Three Ships Traditional English
2. The Cherry Tree Traditional English
3. In the Bleak Midwinter Gustav Holst
4. The Holly and the Ivy Traditional
5. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel French plainsong
6. Once In Royal David’s City Henry J. Gauntlett
7. Cold December Flies Away Traditional Catalonian
8. Prepare the Way, O Zion Traditional Swedish
9. The Seven Rejoices of Mary Traditional Irish
10. Gaudete from Piae Cantiones
11. Angels We Have Heard On High Traditional French
12. What Child Is This Traditional English
13. O Come, All Ye Faithful John Francis Wade
14. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen Traditional English
15. Ding Dong Merrily On High George R. Woodward
16. It Came Upon the Midnight Clear Richard S. Willis
17. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing Felix Mendelssohn
18. Awake, and Join the Cheerful Choir Traditional English
19. Angels From the Realms of Glory James Montgomery
20. ‘Twas In the Moon of Wintertime Traditional French
21. Joy to the World Lowell Mason
22. Good Christian Men, Rejoice Traditional German
23. March of the Kings Georg Bizet
24. Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence Traditional French
25. Infant Holy, Infant Lowly Traditional Polish

1 comment:

batgirl said...

I like this list MUCH better than the last! The way Christmas is "out there" is really disturbing and getting worse. For a moment, the other day, I was hopeful. I was shopping at Kohl's, browsing through men's shirts in search of something for my nephew. Christmas music played over the intercom. One song ended and suddenly an old recording of "Faith of our Fathers" came on. I was amazed. I started singing along, harmoning with the alto part I learned so well when I grew up Baptist. Partway through the chorus, someone somewhere, changed the music. The old hymn was replaced by Hall and Oates singing, "I can't go for that." Oh well. We know what Christmas is about. I guess we'll have to Go Tell it on the Mountain:)