Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, January 25, 2008

DYK? Sleep and Nutrition

Have trouble getting to sleep or, worse yet, have trouble with heartburn as soon as you lie down to go to sleep? Well, here is some interesting information that may explain why. From Dr. Weil.com:
1. It is more difficult to digest food when lying down. Our digestive tracts work best when we are upright --- sitting, standing or even walking. When you lie down after a meal, gravity can disrupt proper digestion. This can lead to acid reflux, or heartburn, which can hinder sleep.

2. Digesting food requires the body to expend energy. This can interfere with the relaxed metabolic state required for sleep. Your best bet: eat large meals earlier in the day, when the body will best use the energy the food provides, and limit any late-evening eating to small, healthful snacks.
Sleep tight…and eat right.

No comments: