Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fortune Cookies

Been away for awhile decluttering my house and preparing for yet another year of homeschooling. Tonight, my husband grabbed Chinese food for dinner and, as usual, the restaurant tossed in those fortune cookies. Now, I am not a believer in fortune telling, but I do wonder about the history of the practice of including fortune cookies with a meal. If anyone has information about that, I would love to hear more. In the meantime, here are the King family fortunes for tonight:
Don't take life too seriously. Laugh and smile at it once in a while.

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.

Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten.

Courtesy is contagious.
Find any interesting tidbits in your Chinese food lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fortune cookies is an invention of either a Japanese American or a Chinese American depending on what version of the story you believe. You can find more information in wiki. The closest tradition in chinese that is close to something like fortune cookies is Moon Cake during Mid Autumn Festival. Chinese used message put into the Moon Cake to tell the Hai Chinese to raise up against the Mongo. Anyway, fortune cookies are for fun. You can get random virtual chinese fortune cookies at http://www.mychinesefortune.com/ . You can even write and submit your own.