Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

When Is a Candidate Ready?

This morning, I was watching some election coverage when one of the commentators mentioned that he didn’t think Sarah Palin was ready to be President if, God forbid, anything happened to John McCain. I have heard folks say this about Barack Obama too. Considering that many people do not want a “Washington insider” to lead the country, a label that implies all kinds of experience working in Washington, D.C., my question for discussion is this:
What exactly makes an individual ready to be President?
The Constitution enumerates these qualifications in Article II, Section 1:

- must be a natural born citizen
- must be at least 35 years old
- must have lived in the United States for 14 years

Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

McCain campaign website
Obama campaign website

No comments: