Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Another Sad Driving Tale

Several weeks ago, my girlfriend was involved in an auto accident in the parking lot of a nearby medical center. The incident was not her fault; it was determined to be the fault of the teenage driver who plowed into the rear quarter panel of the van my friend was driving. The force of the impact broke the tire on my friend’s vehicle and bent the rear axel to the point where the entire assembly had to be replaced. Despite this extensive damage, my friend (being the compassionate mom that she is) consoled the young lady while the police collected information at the scene. Fortunately, everyone was ok.

Sadly, this morning (10/8/08) the news was not so encouraging. Yesterday afternoon, this same teenager was involved in another accident…and this time she had two friends in the car. Our local newspaper is reporting that the young lady lost control of the Volkswagen Jetta she was driving, hitting a pickup truck being driven by a gentleman from Rhode Island. He is ok, treated and released from a nearby hospital (Lawrence & Memorial) after suffering a leg injury. The driver didn’t fare so well. She is currently in stable condition at Hartford Hospital after being transported there by Life Star helicopter. Her passengers remain hospitalized as well, one of them at Yale-New Haven; the other at William Backus Hospital in Norwich, CT. The accident continues to be investigated.

Let us pray for everyone involved in this mishap, for speedy recovery, and for timely resolution of the legalities that inevitably seem to follow these things.

No comments: