Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Chili for KoalaGirl15

My friend, KoalaGirl15, called me today from the Wendy's drive-thru not far from my house. Apparently, she had a craving for chili. Because she prefers my husband's chili to store-bought, I decided to post his chili recipe for her, and for anyone else with a chili craving. Bon appetit!

Ingredients
1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
6 (or more) cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (Contadina w/Italian Herbs)
1 16-ounce can tomato sauce (Contadina w/Italian Herbs)
2 16-ounce cans dark red kidney beans w/liquid
2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoon basil
1/8 cup barbeque sauce (Kraft Honey Roasted Garlic)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Instructions
Crumble and brown sausage in skillet or pot. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are softened (about 20-30 minutes). Serve over rice with shredded cheese, if desired. Serves a bunch with leftovers.

2 comments:

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

Thanks, Michele! Now, why don't you make some for me?? :o)