Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

River Road

When my daughter and I eat at the Friendly’s restaurant near our house, we make a point of driving home via River Road, a street that travels past the salt marshes that lie along the banks of the Mystic River. Over the years, we have seen everything from swans and geese swimming in the river, to ospreys nesting on platforms installed by a conservation agency in order to increase the birth rate of these lovely feathered hunters. We also routinely spy a cormorant that sits atop a rock just offshore where the road turns east toward a local boat launch.

Until today, our best view of this cormorant was at some distance, always on the same rock, and always standing in that tall, bill upright posture so commonly seen amongst herons and the like. Today, however, we were treated to a close-up view of this bird preening himself on a rock right at the side of the road, much farther upstream than his accustomed perch. Of course, as usual, we did NOT have our camera in the car (!) so we have no awesome photos of this magical sight. We do, however, have a general photo of the river and the marsh. We have included it here for your enjoyment. Better luck (and better planning) next time.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Keep the camera in your purse! It's always when you don't have the camera that you see what would be the best pictures. I saw what would have been a great picture of a chipmunk while up in New York this weekend. Of course, I had gone off without my purse, having only my wallet with me. Live and learn! :o)

Kaitlin said...

Beautiful picture!(even if it isn't the one you wanted)

Kaitlin Start

batgirl said...

Hi Michelle,
Just popping in to check out your blog. Linked over from Kelly's. My girls and I are right on the shore in Waterford and have enjoyed driving by a swan family everyday and watching the little ones lose their fuzz. There are a few egrets too with their long and lovely necks. What a blessing to live in this area and see all of the seaside beauty God made!