Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Teaching Company

When I first began homeschooling in 1995/1996, I received a catalog in the mail from a relatively new business called The Teaching Company. It offered video and audio courses in a variety of subject areas, some of which looked rather intriguing but all of which were much too advanced for my daughter, a Kindergartener at the time. I filed the catalog in my school box and didn’t think much more about it. Over the years, I received many more catalogs but, having no immediate use for them, I threw them away.

Recently, however, I decided to examine one of The Teaching Company catalogs more closely. With Katherine the Great approaching the last few years of high school, I thought one or two of the courses might be interesting for her, especially if they dealt with music. What a gold mine! Not only is the course selection vast, the sale prices can’t be beat. I recently purchased Luther: Gospel, Law, and Reformation for only $69.95. Normally priced at $254.95, this course includes four DVD’s and two sixty-page course guidebooks. Seeing as an award-winning professor from Eastern University (Dr. Phillip Cary) teaches the course, I think that is a pretty good deal. I would certainly pay more than $69.95 in tuition and fees to take the same course on campus.

Other course acquisitions of late, all at sale price
- American Ideals: Founding of “Republic of Virtue”
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Music
- How to Listen to and Understand Opera
- The History of the English Language
- How to Read and Understand Poetry
- American Religious History

Interested? Intrigued? Check out the course listings for yourself at www.teach12.com. You’ll be glad you did.

Note: If any homeschoolers use NARHS (North Atlantic Regional High School), a number of The Teaching Company courses count for credit.

No comments: