Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Disaster Averted, Some Advice

Yesterday afternoon, after considering the possibility of a power outage and after hearing an idea on how to extend the cooling ability of your refrigerator during an outage, my daughter and I decided to place water in quart plastic bags and freeze them in the bottom freezer drawer of our refrigerator.  This evening, my daughter tried to open that freezer drawer.  It was frozen shut!  The quart plastic bags of water had leaked into the drawer slide mechanism.  The bags weren't even overfilled (to allow for expansion).  I am still uncertain as to why they leaked and, at this point, it really doesn't matter.  Thankfully, my husband was able to open the freezer drawer and thaw the mechanism with my hair dryer.  I was freaked!  I thought, for sure, that my daughter and I had broken the refrigerator!  Praise the Lord, no.  No broken relationships, either.  A little panic, some edgy yelling, and some forgiving words/hugs later, all appears to be ok.

If you, too, heard this advice --- to put water in plastic bags and freeze them to turn your refrigerator into a giant cooler in case of a power outage --- be careful how you implement the idea.  You could create a disaster in your house before the one outside your house (Hurricane Irene) ever arrives.

No comments: