Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

My First Scrapbooking Project

This past Wednesday, after about a week of on-again-off-again page planning/design and shopping to collect supplies (like paper, embellishments, and adhesive), I finally assembled my first scrapbook page.  Not for my personal use, this page will (hopefully) brighten the Sign In Area of our homeschool support group meetings.  I plan to create a page for each month, September 2011 through June 2012.  If I am really inspired, I might add pages for July and August 2012 as well.  Of course, that would only be if the group decides to meet next summer.

Being related (by marriage) to a scrapbook entrepreneur and having a best friend who has worked as a scrapbook page designer for a website, I really should have caught the creative memory keeping bug long ago, but I didn't.  Why I caught it now, I cannot say.  I guess I just wanted to give a warm welcome to the families in our homeschool community and creatively preserve some of the moments we share together.  Or maybe in my old age (I will turn fifty soon), I have softened to the idea that there is some purpose to "frivolous" decoration:  that of making people comfortable and letting them know you care enough to make their environs pretty.  Whatever the reason, I have finished my first project and am moving on to another:  October holidays.  No Halloween, though.  I have decided to focus on three other celebrations.  Can you guess what they might be?

No comments: