Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Lest We Forget

With the bridge collapse in China, the mining disaster in Utah, the mudslides and flooding in the Midwest, and all the associated victims, it is easy to forget these people after the immediacy of each disaster has passed off the breaking news ticker. Lest we forget the long struggle that victims and their families often face, here is an update on the last remaining survivor of the I-35 Bridge collapse in Minneapolis, Minnesota who remains in the hospital --- Paula Coulter. The information printed here is taken from a hospital website that patients can use to keep family and others updated on their condition.
August 19, 2007: Today, Paula was able to lay horizontally for several hours. Her brain and blood pressures remained at an acceptable level. The sedation medications continue to be reduced, while her stamina for laying flat seems to be increasing. As I wrote earlier, this is key for the lengthy time she’ll need to endure for her back surgery.

August 21, 2007: I know the neurological team met with the family today. Surgery for [Paula’s] back is right around the corner. It’ll be here before you know it.

August 22, 2007: The surgery actually got underway a little after 4:00 PM. It’s an extensive surgery. I understand that doctors will take about 90 minutes just to get to the area where the “real work” begins. Surgery time is expected to be about 6 hours.

August 23, 2007: Paula’s surgery went until 10:45 PM. So, it turned out to be close to 7 hours. Doctors are “very confident” of the results of the surgery.
If you would like to read additional journal entries about Mrs. Coulter and her family, view photos of the accident, or if you would like to donate funds to Caring Bridge, please visit her website.

Disclaimer: I do not know Paula Coulter, nor am I acquainted with her. She graduated from high school just minutes from my hometown in southern Minnesota. I merely feel called to ask the readers of Gooseberry Lane to pray for this woman and for her family while they all face the daily challenges of recovery.

No comments: