Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Happy 18th!

Yesterday, my daughter turned eighteen. I can hardly believe it. My husband sees it as a big deal and has been asking Katherine the Great if she feels any different, if she feels like a "grown-up." Not surprising, she could care less about how it feels to be eighteen. What is she excited about? Yup, you guessed it, registering to vote.

That celebration will happen on Monday morning. To recognize her actual “birthday," she had dinner with our good friends, the F family, at our favorite restaurant, Russell’s Ribs. Next week, she will have a picnic dinner in the park before the annual fireworks at Fort Griswold. Then, at the end of July, when her magician friend returns from magic camp in Pennsylvania, she will have an actual peer-group birthday party with letterboxing in one of the local hiking spots, ending with ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. Nothing like spreading your birthday out over an entire month. Then again, you only turn eighteen once, right?

I don’t remember what my eighteenth birthday was like. I do remember one thing: I certainly wasn’t looking forward to voting.

Happy birthday, Miss Katy!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

18???????? How did I miss that???? I thought she was17!!!!!!!!!!! Oooops!!!!