Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Critters in the Garden

A lovely little garter snake
Photo by Plush Duck

...and a lovely little wooly
Photo by King Richard

This afternoon, my husband mowed the lawn (possibly for the last time this fall) and tuned up the lawnmower in preparation for winter storage.  When he was leaving the backyard (with the mower running) to work in the front yard, he found this little guy.  Fortunately, he saw him before he ran him over.  Unfortunately, he brought him in the house to share him with the rest of us.  I am not a fan of wildlife in the house.  Well, of course, I yelped and "asked" him to take the little critter outside.  My daughter, on the other hand, was thrilled and immediately followed her dad outside to investigate.  We don't get many snakes of any size in our yard, so no opportunity to experience nature should be squandered when it slithers past.  They had a great time.  I took the picture and went back in the house.  A little later in the day, the wooly guy showed up.  I love my yard! 

No comments: