Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, February 19, 2007

No Wal-Mart … For Now

After a week of attending meetings and listening to the deliberations of experts, I am happy to report that the Groton Planning Commission denied the application of Konover Development Corporation to build a Wal-Mart Supercenter in my community. I participated in the effort to defeat this “big box” store by submitting my opinion, in writing, to the individual members of the Planning Commission (see Basic Sector Development, Please). The gigantic Wal-Mart would have been extremely close to the reservoir that supplies my drinking water. The fight may not be over, however. Konover Development may appeal the decision. If they do, I am sure you will hear more about it.

No comments: