Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Holy God, We Praise Your Name

This was the “Hymn of the Day” in church this morning. It is an 18th-century German tune, first published in 1774. I like it because the words speak to the concept of the Trinity and to the response that God’s existence should elicit from us --- praise and humility.
Holy God, we praise your Name;
Lord of all, we bow before you.
All on earth your scepter claim,
All in heaven above adore you.
Infinite your vast domain,
Everlasting is your reign.

Hark! The glad celestial hymn
Angel choirs above are raising,
Cherubim and seraphim,
In unceasing chorus praising;
Fill the heavens with sweet accord:
“Holy, holy, holy Lord!”

Lo, the apostolic train
Join your sacred Name to hallow;
Prophets swell the glad refrain,
And the white-robed martyrs follow;
And from morn to set of sun,
Through the Church the song goes on.

You are King of Glory, Christ;
Son of God, yet born of Mary.
For us sinners sacrificed,
As to death a Tributary,
First to break the bars of death,
You have opened heaven to faith.

Holy Father, Holy Son,
Holy Spirit, three we name you,
Though in essence only One;
Undivided God we claim you
And, adoring, bend the knee
While we own the mystery. Amen.

No comments: