Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter Has Arrived!

At 2:45 PM this afternoon, I picked up my mail, which included a pre-purchased copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. The final adventure of Harry and his friends is now sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for my husband to return from work. I promised him we would not begin reading until he was home.

The Amazon.com shipping box that contained this latest tale of the boy wizard’s life was pretty cool. On the side was a symbol reading “YEAR 7,” written in that Hogwarts typeface we have all come to recognize; on the other side was the book title; the front sported several shipping labels, while the back had an illustration of an owl delivering a letter addressed to “Harry Potter.” Both the front and the back carried this warning: ATTENTION MUGGLES - DO NOT DELIVER OR OPEN BEFORE JULY 21! Cute, huh. I have included a picture of the shipping container for those of you who may have purchased your Potter copies at a local bookstore.

Oh, I almost forgot. Our book arrived with a foot long feather. Whether it was from a local bird, a Hippogriff, or an owl, I do not know. My daughter found it on the driveway near the rock pile. Did anyone else receive a plume with his or her book delivery? If yes, please let me know.

Have a great time reading!

No comments: