Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Scottish Oat Scones

With a break in the warm temperatures of the past few days, I decided to heat up my kitchen this morning by baking one of our favorite breakfast foods: scones. I found this recipe more than ten years ago in a book titled The Joy of Snacks by Nancy Cooper, R.D. I modify it regularly, depending on my mood. This morning, with accompanying fresh blueberries, I opted for the addition of cinnamon and walnuts. Here is the original recipe:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1/3 cup skim milk
1 egg
1/2 cup raisins

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Add oats, margarine, milk, and egg. Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in raisins. Shape dough to form ball; pat out on lightly floured surface to form 8-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges (scones); bake on oiled baking sheet at 425 for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.

Yield: 12
Serving size: 1
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories 207
- Carbohydrates 28 g
- Protein 4 g
- Fat 9 g
- Sodium 275 mg
Exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 2 fat

Being concerned about whole foods ingredients and sodium, I habitually use this altered version of the recipe. Occasionally, I will substitute canola oil for the butter.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Hain® Featherweight sodium-free baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup Silk® organic soy milk (vanilla or unflavored)
1 egg

My husband asked for these the morning after his surgery for medullary thyroid cancer. He also used to include a few in his pack while cycling. If you decide to use them as "bike food," just cut the wedges a bit thinner and lower the oven temperature a trifle.

No comments: