Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Live Impact Score = 279

While watching the live coverage of the Tour de France this year, my daughter and I have been pummeled by commercials for Esurance® Auto Insurance. I’m sure you know the ones…with the secret agent girl. Anyway, one of the advertisements asked viewers to visit the Esurance® website to determine their carbon footprint. Curious, the other day (during a particularly quiet spot in the race), I decided to compute my impact on the environment. In a possible range from 150-900, my family came in at a whopping 279. I thought that was pretty good. Actually, it was much better than I expected. I guess all that recycling is worth it. Now, if I could just remember to turn off my lights more often, I could leave an even smaller mark on the planet. That’s quite a goal: to reduce your influence on the world.

If you would like to compute your own carbon footprint, visit www.esurance.com/sos.

No comments: