Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Spelling Anyone?

Can anyone spell anymore? Does anybody really care?

Yesterday morning, when I drove onto the military base near my house, I checked the public announcement sign at the front gate for the latest news. This is what I saw:

FREE MARRIAGE RETREET
DELUXE ACCOMODATIONS

Being a homeschool educator and a natural speller, this creative use of orthography irritated me. My husband said I should contact the base commander, a gentleman who (many moons ago) was stationed with us at the Historic Ship Nautilus and Submarine Force Museum, when he was just a lowly lieutenant and my husband was a first class petty officer. I suppose the suggestion was given in the hopes that the captain could get the spelling error corrected.

I wonder if anyone would correct the sign if I brought it to their attention? I wonder if anyone would care?