Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

House Sold!

Way back last summer, shortly after I started Gooseberry Lane, my mother put my childhood home up for sale. My father had passed away in November 2005 and the large 1910 structure was unnecessarily roomy for one seventy-six-year-old lady. After several months of sorting and decluttering, donations, and an estate sale, the home went on the market August 31, 2006. Originally listed at $79,000, in early March my mother received an offer of $74,999 for the property. Given the slowing real estate market in the Upper Midwest, selling seemed like the best option. Holding out for a “better” price seemed like wishful thinking and the bank was waiting for a payment on my mother’s new house, a three-bedroom mobile home that she had purchased before the “big” house was ever for sale. After a month of paperwork, inspections, and loan officer questions, the house was finally sold. A new family now owns it.

When this whole process began, I made a prayer request, less for the house (I think) and more for my ability to cope with the transition of seeing my childhood home pass to someone else, but I made the request nonetheless. This is what I asked for:

- the home would be purchased by a family with small children
- the building and grounds would be kept in good repair
- the home and grounds would create wonderful memories for children

Well, yesterday afternoon, my mother informed me that the new owners are married with a baby on the way and at least one other child who, interestingly enough, is the same age as my sister when my parents bought the house in 1960. Also, after some conversation with the new owner-husband, my mother ascertained that he is knowledgeable about home maintenance and repair. So, it appears that my prayer was answered, at least as far as my first two requests. I may never have an answer to my last request. That really depends on the new family and how they live their life. But God is faithful and, knowing that He already answered part of my prayer, I have faith that He will keep the new family in His care and will help them build a wonderful life for their children in a home that, for the last one hundred years, has already provided much joy to those who have lived within her walls.
Bless this house, O Lord, we pray.
Make it safe by night and day.
Bless these walls so firm and stout,
Keeping want and trouble out.
Bless this roof and chimney tall,
Let thy peace lie overall.
Bless these doors that they may prove
Ever open to joy and love.
Bless the windows shining bright,
Letting in God’s heavenly light.
Bless the hearth a-blazing there,
With smoke ascending like a prayer.
Bless the people here within…
Keep them pure and free from sin.
Bless us all, that one day, we
May be fit, O Lord, to dwell with Thee.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Rejoicing with you at God's Providence!