Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Boogle?

The other day, my daughter was exploring YouTube when she happened upon a video of ferrets performing what people refer to as the “weasel war dance.” It is a funny-looking movement/gesture that ferrets display when they are happy or excited (or so I am told). Anyway, watching the video led her to investigate a Wikipedia article about weasels, where she discovered that a group of them is called a “boogle.” So, geese travel in a gaggle, lions live in a pride, and crows traffic in murders (sounds ominous). How is it that a boogle is not a family of ghosts? Just a thought from my friend Vickie.

If you know the names of any other odd animal groupings, please let me know.

4 comments:

Zacchini said...

A mob of kangaroos.

batgirl said...

That sounds scary, Zach! You can tell the kid's Aussie, huh? Chelsey has two stinky ferretts living in her bedroom. Can two be a boogle or do they need more friends?

Kelly said...

From Save the Koala.com:

There's no collective noun for a group of koalas moving around together because koalas don't move around in groups like dolphins or some birds. They are fairly solitary creatures, although they do like to be living in overlapping home ranges in bushland with other koalas. We usually call these groups 'koala populations’ or ‘koala colonies'.

Mmmm . . . I'm fairly solitary and yet, I DO like to know that their are other koalas around . . .

Zacchini said...

For your sake, two can be a boogle. You don't need any more! : )