Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, May 28, 2007

No Diapers!

Some time ago, on Nightline, the “Sign of the Times” segment profiled a support group for parents (translation: moms) who have chosen to raise their children sans diapers. News flash: this is not a new idea. My daughter is sixteen and when she was potty training (oh so many years ago), I had friends who used this method with their kids. For the most part, it works but…

- you must be at home with your child
- you must pay close attention to your child
- you must have patience with your child (an abundant supply of patience)
- you must be ok with an occasional “mess” (if you know what I mean)

I tried this method with Katherine the Great for about a week and determined that it wasn’t for me. Back then, I was much too structured for the “wait and watch” approach. It depended too much on me hovering over my daughter. I decided that if I was going to hover, I preferred to “play helicopter” about reading rather than going potty. As a result, I spent much more time curled up on the couch perusing Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton and Alphabeasts by Dick King-Smith, rather than running for the bathroom. To each his own, I guess.

No comments: