Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, November 16, 2007

DYK? Orange Pulp

Every once in a while, I receive a “Tip of the Day” from the RealAge.com website. This morning, it was about oranges. More specifically, the message opened with this question:
Orange peel, pulp, or juice: which one has the most vitamin C?
My husband guessed the peel. My daughter went with pulp. The winner was...my daughter! Quoting from the e-message:
Orange pulp wins, according to the authors of the book SuperFoods HealthStyle. The pulp has twice as much vitamin C as the peel and 10 times as much as the juice. And here’s what all that nutrition means to your body.

- snip -

Each orange packs over 60 flavonoids, 170 phytochemicals, and a healthy dose of vitamin C.

- snip -

And all that healthy stuff in oranges may help prevent a host of health conditions, including arthritis, asthma, high blood pressure, blood clots, colds, and even cancer.
Years ago, when my husband was a cancer patient, I used to make homemade orange juice in my juicer every morning. Maybe I should restart that habit. Who knows, I just may avoid a cold or two.

No comments: