Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, November 19, 2007

The New Breed of Holiday Film?

I was surfing around on Movies.com this evening to get an inkling of the holiday movie scene. Here’s one of the films (P2) already in theaters (see description below). I certainly hope this isn’t Hollywood’s idea of a more “honest” portrayal of Christmas, rather than one involving “fables and myths” like Santa and reindeer and elves...or worse yet, the birth of a Savior. If this is all that movie land has to offer this season, I will be curled up on my sofa watching something more uplifting and, dare I say, delusional...like White Christmas or the Nativity Story. As promised earlier in the paragraph, here is the movie description. May you have a more magical holiday than the poor girl in this flick.
It’s Christmas Eve. Angela Bridges (Rachel Nichols) works late before she leaves for her family’s holiday party. When she gets down to the parking garage, she discovers that her car won’t start. The garage is deserted and her cell phone doesn’t get a signal underground. Thomas (Wes Bentley), a friendly security guard, comes along and offers to help. After a failed attempt to start her car, he invites her to stay and share a small Christmas dinner in the parking office, but she laughs it off. Angela doesn’t realize this is no laughing matter --- Thomas has been watching her closely...for months. His dinner invitation is not optional. If Angela wants to live to see Christmas morning, she must find a way to escape from level P2 of the parking garage.
Note: Yes, I do realize that less horrific options are out there, like Fred Claus. Unfortunately, Santa’s somewhat irreverent brother is also a bit too non-traditional for my tastes. I guess I will be digging out that homemade hot chocolate recipe any day now, as it looks more and more like I will be staying home for a pleasant holiday film.

No comments: