Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

How Does This Work?

This morning, I received an online newsletter from a homeschool support network in my state. I am on their mailing list, but I don’t really ever participate in their activities, mostly because they are too far away. I stay on the list to keep in touch with what other homeschoolers are doing, what they are thinking, and how they “do school.” Increasingly, I am finding this sort of scenario mentioned, not just in the particular newsletter I read this morning but also in blogs and online forums. Maybe you have seen similar situations described as well.
I am a mother of four, stepmom to three, and pregnant with number eight. I homeschool my four biological children...

I work full-time at a non-profit agency where I am responsible for developing programs, networking, and doing fun things like organizing our annual community fair. I “go to” an online university in pursuit of getting a degree...

In my spare time, I run a book club that I really enjoy.
How does this work? How can a parent work full-time and homeschool? I can see if you are a telecommuting parent, or a parent who works out of your home because you would be there to supervise and care for your kids during the day. How does this work if you are employed outside of your home during regular office hours?

I do not mean to be judgmental; I just don’t know how this works. I have homeschooled for over ten years, always as a stay-at-home mom who keeps up her “work skills” by volunteering with community organizations, etc. I sincerely wish to know how people do this.

No comments: