Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Our New Bird Feeder

This afternoon, after a busy day at church, my family and I stopped by our local Wild Birds Unlimited store to purchase a replacement bird feeder for our backyard. The current feeder was wooden, mildew-ridden, and rotting, not exactly the kind of dining room that we want to provide for our feathered friends. After thirty minutes of discussion, we chose the EcoTough™ Ranchette Retreat. This is the description from the company website:
A Bird’s Dining Dream Come True

- Two perches
- Seed capacity: 2 gallons
- Suet Capacity: 2 cakes

The EcoTough™ Ranchette Retreat is a fully functioning bird buffet that holds two gallons of seed and two suet cakes. With such a variety of food, you’ll likely attract many different species such as jays, chickadees, woodpeckers and more. Also, the Ranchette Retreat’s screen bottom lifts out, making it easy to clean. (Birdfood and pole not included.)

EcoTough™ feeders and houses are environmentally friendly, high quality products that are made from recycled plastic milk jugs. These feeders and houses prevent used milk jugs form making thier way into our landfills. EcoTough™ feeders and houses won’t rot, crack, fade or warp like wood can. They also come with limited lifetime guarantees.

Dimensions: 11” x 16” x 17”
As you can see from the photograph, the new addition to our backyard has already been installed. So far, my daughter has seen two downy woodpeckers and a number of nuthatches. I can only imagine what will happen when we put up a thistle feeder.

No comments: