Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Accountability Update AUGUST 2006

I began this blog on August 7, 2006 for two basic reasons: first, as a way to motivate myself to finish some home improvement projects and, second, as a way to hold myself accountable for excessive restaurant expenditures. Now that I am one month into this adventure, it is time to take stock of my progress (even though I am terrified to look at the evaluation).

The rating scale for this project is as follows:

1: Failed miserably. No progress whatsoever.
2: Tried, but couldn’t do it. No significant progress.
3: Making progress. Halfway there.
4: Came close. More effort needed.
5: Did it! All goals met.

SCHOOL ORGANIZATION
Overall rating: 2

Rather than working on a home improvement project during August, instead I focused on an organizational task --- getting ready for school. This job consisted of decluttering four separate areas of the house: the living room desk, the kitchen table, the family computer desk, and the family room bookshelves. While I did work in these areas during the month, I must admit they are now worse than they were when I began, hopefully because I am in that space defined by the statement, “It always gets worse before it gets better.”

The biggest problem I encountered in organizing these areas was a lack of storage space. My husband and I discussed this need and came to the conclusion that new bookcases/cabinets in the living room would be a wise purchase, even though he would prefer to build these items himself. After some online shopping and a visit to our local IKEA store, we chose a suitable short-term bookcase arrangement that will be ordered as soon as enough funds have been saved for the effort.

Because I did some work on the assigned task, even though I made no obvious significant progress, I awarded myself a two on the rating scale. The plan for September: focus on only one area at a time. The area of choice: the kitchen table. The implementation of the plan: clear the table and establish a routine to keep it clear. After that, refinish the chalkboard before the school year gets too busy.

Our new slogan: Can we fix it? Yes, we can. --- Bob the Builder

RESTAURANT EXPENDITURES
Overall rating: 1

The total amount of moolah spent for dining out during the month of August was $1305.26, a figure that is not only embarrassing to publish but monumentally ridiculous in an absolute sense. Being $81.96 more than the average for both June and July, I clearly made no progress whatsoever toward this goal, thereby earning the lowest rating on my scale. The plan for September: eat at home and make only preplanned restaurant visits. The implementation of the plan: sit down with my family to determine which days would be best for crock pot meals due to busy schedules, which days would be best for a meal on the town, and which restaurants should be included in our September list. What is that old saying, “Plan the work and work the plan.” Good advice. Now let’s see if I can heed it!

Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established. --- Proverbs 16:3 NASB

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Why don't you give yourself a reasonable restaurant budget? Say, $400 for the month. That gives you $100 each week. Put the cash in an envelope and you can only spend what you have. No debit cards allowed. Since it's just you and Katy home, you should be able to do this. That would be a huge savings of $900 a month (based on August's expenditures). Of course, part of that $900 will go towards groceries that you normally don't purchase.

You can do it!