Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, September 01, 2006

School is in Session!

This morning we started school, even though it was the Friday before Labor Day and the beginning of the first holiday weekend of the fall season. Why start on a Friday, you ask? Unfortunately, I have no better answer than this: when I scheduled “opening day” several weeks ago, I didn’t really think about the actual day of the week. Instead, I chose the date because my transcript service defines the academic year as September 1st- August 31st. Granted, not a great reason, but the truth nonetheless.

The first task of the day was to finish reading the introductory comments for the bible study and American government coursework that we will be using. Due to more pressing issues yesterday evening (like watching Pillow Talk and eating orange sherbet), I failed to complete my “homework” in preparation for today, so I needed to catch up before class began at 7:30 AM. Granted, not a great excuse, but the truth nonetheless.

The second task of the day was an attempt to debug my laptop computer so I could print the annual notice of intent that we submit to our local school district. My husband needed to sign it before leaving for work and he was already running late. We finally saved a copy of the document to his memory stick and printed the form using the main computer. I guess I will be learning more about my print utility software this afternoon. No worries, another problem solved. On with the show.

The third task of the day was breakfast. As we often eat breakfast out (see Restaurant Addiction), the temptation was to consider the first day of class “a special occasion” and treat ourselves to a morning meal on the town. Fortunately, my student (aka my daughter) suggested that chicken sausages, yogurt, and scones at home were perfectly serviceable, so we ate in (praise the Lord for wise children). During breakfast, we began reading The History of Plimoth Plantation by William Bradford (yep, you guessed it, the same one who landed with the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock). After breakfast, at which point we prayed for guidance in our homeschooling journey, we began the 2006-2007 academic year. It sounds so ominous, doesn’t it? Challenging, maybe, but hardly ominous, especially remembering Philippians 4:13 NASB: I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

The schedule for the day looked like this:

AM
Music Theory
Geometry
Bible Study
American Government

PM
French
Science
Language Arts/Literature
Health
Piano practice

Not bad for an inaugural class day. It is now dinnertime. My daughter is still practicing her piano; I am writing this article; and my husband is mowing the lawn so I don’t have to. Yippee! We have survived our first day of school for the year and all is well with the world (at least with our little corner of it, anyway). Time to celebrate!*

*It is, after all, a new month with a new budget for restaurant dining (see Restaurant Addiction). Hmm. Where should we have dinner?

No comments: