Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

A Day of Rest?

Being the first Sunday in Advent, I suppose I should have relaxed at home as I imagine other Christians do on God’s designated day of repose, but I didn’t. I spent the day doing anything but resting, instead sampling a festival of Christmas delights:

8:30 AM WORSHIP @ CHURCH: I love the first Sunday in Advent! The church is decked out for the holidays, making everything look so festive and special. The Christmas tree is in the narthex, adorned with ornaments; the Advent wreath is by the altar, sporting the blue and pink candles of the season; and greenery arrangements seem to be everywhere, filling the air with the heavenly aroma of pine. Yet, I love Advent for another, more important, less sensory reason --- it marks the start of the church year, my chance for a “new beginning” with God. Over the years, I have come to see Advent as both a time of anticipation of the coming of Christ and as a time for making some personal “spiritual New Year’s Resolutions.” For 2006: spend more time in daily prayer.

9:45 AM SUNDAY SCHOOL: After church, I headed to Sunday School. 2006 marks my fifth year of service as a Sunday School teacher and, hopefully, my best. The young people that God has placed in my path this year are just fantastic, not because they have the “faith thing” all figured out, but because they are struggling with how to apply it in their everyday lives (and they are very honest about that struggle). Imagine that, the kids face the same challenges that adult believers face. This common ground makes for great conversation and some awesome instructional moments. God truly is an awesome God. Today’s topic: authentic faith, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and a little history of Advent.

11:30 AM LUNCH @ 99 RESTAURANT: A meal with my family at one of our neighborhood eateries. The Garlic Parmesan Crusted Tilapia was quite good. I had it with rice and butternut squash. My husband tried the Tropical Chicken Salad, while my daughter opted for Shrimp Scampi (sans tomatoes, please). Quite tasty, and no leftovers.

1:30 PM THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS: An annual tradition at the Florence Griswold Museum, this was my first trip to the gallery, not just my first trip for the Christmas tree display. What a treat! Not only were my daughter and I privileged to enjoy five beautifully and artfully decorated trees of the season, but we were equally blessed to see some breathtaking artwork as well. Each tree represented a different “ancient element” --- fire, water, earth, and air. The fifth tree was the “palette tree,” decorated almost exclusively with wooden palette-shaped ornaments, all hand-painted by professional artists. For a close-up view of these lovely creations, click here.

4:00 PM SERVICE OF LESSONS & CAROLS: An annual tradition at house (at least for now), this was the first year my family was able to attend this service for pure enjoyment. For many years, my daughter was required to play in the handbell choir, with the associated rehearsals beforehand. Not so, this year. A move to a new church, and the associated change to a new bell choir, meant listening pleasure only. It felt a bit odd at first, but we all adjusted quite quickly. Fellowship time afterwards allowed us to catch up with a few friends we missed seeing on Sunday mornings. All in all, a nice service.

7:30 PM HANDEL’S MESSIAH: The highlight of the day! Katherine the Great has gone to sleep listening to this piece of music more nights than I can count. It is one of her favorites (and mine). This performance was especially enjoyable because it offered a chance to see some of our friends and acquaintances “do their thing.” The conductor is a former handbell compatriot from Shoreline Ringers; the harpsichordist is the founder of Calvary Music School (where my daughter takes music composition class), a new friend from church played violin in the orchestra (we were privileged to sit with her husband during the concert). An even more interesting fact: these people are all well acquainted with my daughter’s composition teacher. It truly is a very small world.

So, how was your Sunday? Hopefully as enjoyable as mine. May you have a blessed Advent season, awaiting the birth of our Lord.

No comments: