Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Add 14 Years...Maybe

Would you like to add fourteen years to your life? Well, according to a British study that included some 20,000 men and women between the ages of 45 and 79, all you need to do is cultivate four healthy lifestyle habits:

Don’t smoke. A bit of a no-brainer. By now, I think most people know that smoking is deleterious to their overall health and well-being.

Exercise regularly. Again, we’ve all heard this advice for years. Tell me something I didn’t know.

Drink moderate amounts of alcohol. This is a somewhat controversial finding. Some studies say not to drink, while others (like this one) say that moderate amounts of alcohol, especially red wine and/or strong beer, can be beneficial.

Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables daily. Yep, I knew that.

Nothing horribly profound. The story behind the study, however, is quite interesting and isn’t being discussed much. For that information, see this article on Junkfood Science...and remember, things aren’t always as they appear.

No comments: