Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

NYR: Church/Christian

As it is customary to make New Year’s Resolutions in January --- and fail at keeping them by February --- I decided to get serious about this exercise for 2008. Since I mentally divide my life into roles for organizational purposes, I am making my resolutions per each role. This is my plan for Church/Christian during the next twelve months:

RESOLUTION
To study more about the Emergent/Emerging Church

PLAN
Read some, if not all, of the books on a reading list that features authors and opinions that are both pro-Emergent and anti-Emergent.

READING LIST
Contemplative Youth Ministry (Pro-Emergent)
by Mark Yaconelli

Becoming Conversant with the Emergent Church (Anti-Emergent)
by Don (D.A.) Carson

Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches: Five Perspectives (Pro-Emergent)
by Mark Driscoll

A Time of Departing (Anti-Emergent)
by Ray Yungen

They Like Jesus, But Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations (Pro-Emergent)
By Dan Kimball

Faith Undone (Anti-Emergent)
by Roger Oakland

Velvet Elvis (Pro-Emergent)
by Rob Bell

For Many Shall Come in My Name (Anti-Emergent)
by Ray Yungen

The Sacred Way (Pro-Emergent)
by Tony Jones

The Truth War (Anti-Emergent)
By John MacArthur

A Generous Orthodoxy (Pro-Emergent)
by Brian McLaren

Another Jesus (Anti-Emergent)
by Roger Oakland

The Barbarian Way (Pro-Emergent)
by Erwin McManus

The Other Side of the River (Biography)
By Kevin Reeves

Stumbling Toward Faith (Biography)
By Renee N. Altson

2 comments:

John Umland said...

Roger Oakland would be the least worthwhile to read critic on that list. Reportedly, he tilts at windmills. Your mileage may vary.
God is good
jpu

batgirl said...

Cool. I hope you keep us posted about what you discover. Velvet Elvis is definately on my reading list. Several of my friends keep quoting from it. May as well visit Amazon and order it now...