Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just Stop!

Ok. I think it is time for me to resign as the Coordinator for our local homeschool support group! I have finally gone ‘round the bend. I found myself griping at my online mailbox today when I received yet another e-mail message from yet another organization attempting to sell me yet another curriculum item that is currently being used in the public school. Why?! Why?! Why?! Why?! Why?! Why?! Why?! What makes these people think that I want a curriculum that is being used in our failing and dysfunctional public education system? Is it not obvious that if I wanted to use such a curriculum, I would send my child to public school? Better yet, if I wanted my child educated with such a curriculum, why would purchase it when I could just send my child to the public school for FREE, where she could “benefit” from this curriculum for FREE? Seriously, do I look that intellectually challenged? Seriously.

Here is a portion of the e-mail I received (with comments):
Homeschoolers can now buy EXACTLY the same materials used in thousands of schools across North America at considerably lower prices.

- snip –

These cross-curricular, multi-level learning tools offer interactive learning, stunning graphics and engaging video clips, and are perfect for homeschoolers. [Ok. For my enlightenment, exactly which of these previously-mentioned characteristics makes this curriculum “perfect” for homeschoolers?]

- snip -

The ONLY difference is the home versions do NOT include public performance rights – just like the DVD’s you rent, they are licensed for home use only. [If I sent my child to public school, I wouldn’t be paying these fees directly. The school would pay them. I would contribute to the bill through my taxes, which I do anyway despite the fact that I homeschool.]
So, if you are one of the curriculum vendors who keep bombarding me with advertisements, please stop sending your flyers and brochures to my home, and your e-mail messages to my cyberaddress. Just stop! Spend your postage budget, and your time, targeting someone who truly wants your product --- America’s public schools.

Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest.

No comments: