Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

90 Days!

The countdown continues. Ten days ago, I gave the readers of Gooseberry Lane some information about the holiday organizing plans that are available at OrganizedChristmas.com. I looked at all of them this past week and decided to use the Houseworks Holiday Plan, with the Christmas Countdown as my back up in case I get off track (an extremely likely occurrence). Because I came to this effort a few weeks late, I am still trying to catch up. I am sure I will get there…eventually.

So what have I accomplished in my progress toward Christmas? Unfortunately, not much. This is what I should have been doing during the past four weeks, and what is on my to-do list for the next few weeks. I daresay my biggest challenge will not be the holiday preparation tasks; as always, it will be the house clean up chores. I will let you know how I am progressing.

Week 1: Planning & Paperwork
- House Task: declutter, clean, and organize my desk
- Holiday Tasks: Christmas notebook, family values sheet, Christmas planning center, establish budget, Christmas savings plan, master gift list.

Week 2: Calendar & Creativity
- House Task: declutter, clean, and organize my kitchen table
- Holiday Tasks: seasonal calendar, plan holiday travel, scheduling session, tear files, start shopping, inventory craft supplies, begin “gifts to make” list.

Week 3: Me and Mine
- House Task: declutter, clean, and organize my bedroom
- Holiday Tasks: inventory Christmas cards & gift wrap, write Christmas card list, print Christmas card address labels, order Christmas cards, plan pampering sessions, create gift storage area.

Week 4: Close to Home
- House Task: declutter, clean, and organize my child’s room
- Holiday Tasks: seasonal spruce-up exercise, declutter children’s toys, begin collecting stocking stuffers, plan Advent celebrations, divide Christmas card list into sections & begin writing cards (deadline: November 1).

No comments: