Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

High School Support

Tonight was the first high school support meeting scheduled by our homeschool group, CHOOSE CT. We had a better turn out than I expected --- six moms (usually our support meetings garner only about three attendees). Our topic: the four-year plan. We covered everything from how to determine the number of credits that should be included in a high school curriculum to online resources for classes to the importance/non-importance of issuing an actual diploma to your student. With a mix of veteran and new homeschoolers alike, we had a very fruitful exchange of information. I was especially interested in what some of the other veterans had to say about the challenges they faced when their high school age students attempted to enroll in college courses for dual credit (it wasn’t always smooth sailing).

Some of the resources we discussed:
- North Atlantic Regional High School
- Home School, Inc.
- Edu-Track
- The Teaching Company
- Hewitt Homeschooling Resources
- HSLDA Homeschooling Through High School

The best part of our gathering: the pumpkin cake that was served by our host, Koalagirl15. :-) Topic for our next meeting: Your Greatest Concerns (or How Do I Teach Algebra?)

No comments: