Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Curriculum 2007-2008

Since I have recently ranted here and here on Gooseberry Lane about the planned reform/redesign of high school in Connecticut, I thought I should post the coursework that my daughter will be striving to complete this year. A few of these classes will extend for the entire year from September 1, 2007 – August 31, 2008; others will only run for a “semester” or a “quarter.” The goal, set by my daughter, is to succeed at a rigorous program so that if she decides to apply to a competitive university, she will have a shot at admission. I am not certain she will be able to finish everything on this list, but she is certainly determined to give it her best effort. The best I can do is support her in her chosen program.

English
- Institute for Excellence in Writing & Grammar
- Skills for Literary Analysis
- American Literature
- Understanding Poetry

Math
- Algebra 2
- Geometry

Science
- Biology Lab
- Human Anatomy (with lab)
- Physical Science

Fine Arts
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Music & Composition
- How to Listen to and Understand Opera

Social Studies & History
- Basic American Government
- American Religious History

Computer Science
- Study for Brainbench online certification examination (Mac OS X)

Health & Physical Education
- Health & Human Sexuality
- Manners & More
- Drivers Training
- Personal Fitness (possibly bowling, swimming, or Pilates)

Foreign Language
- French

Extracurriculuar Activities
- Shoreline Ringers Community Handbell Choir
- Church choir
- Piano lessons
- Organ lessons
- Voice lessons

No comments: