Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Café NV

Last week, after the women’s bible study at church, a group of us went to a local restaurant, Café NV, to celebrate a member’s belated birthday. A new destination for me, I found the restaurant both quaint and intriguing, most especially the large stained-glass window that dominated the main wall of the establishment. It is worth a visit to the eatery just to enjoy this work of art. Regretfully, I did not have a camera in my pocket, so I cannot share it with you; maybe next time I go I will procure a photograph.

Most of the ladies partook of the fine salads on the menu. One had a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich, a favorite of hers. My daughter and I decided on Chicken Tortellini in a tomato-basil cream sauce with the accompanying side salad (creamy garlic dressing, of course). All was complemented by a selection of delicious homemade breads and rolls. Dessert was shared all-round, as well: chocolate lava cake and a Greek pastry sampler. There’s nothing like baklava and chocolate to polish off a delicious lunch.

For a more “official” write-up of the restaurant, please peruse this entry from the Mystic Country website:
The Ballis Family welcomes you to Cafe NV and wishes you a pleasant dining experience. In the Greek tradition, we offer you hospitality. We hope as our guest you will experience this through our food and service. Kali Orexi! (Bon Appetite!)

Café NV
57 Boston Post Road
Waterford, CT 06385
(860) 444-8111

Specialties: Soup, Tequila & Lime Shrimp, Spinach pie, Sizzling Souvlaki, Shrimp Saganaki, Salads & Sandwiches, Salads, Outdoor Patio, Mediterranean Salad, Lunch, Grilled Portabella, Greek Style Bruschetta, Fresh Made Pasta

Hours of operation:
Open Monday-Saturday 11 AM – 9 PM. Closed Sundays.
It is definitely worth a side trip to the Connecticut shoreline.

No comments: