Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

DYK? Twelve Days of Christmas

The other day, I saw this advertisement in a local newspaper:
NEX Celebrating 12 Days of Christmas

Navy Exchange New London is celebrating the 12 days of Christmas beginning Dec. 13 and running through Christmas Eve. NEX will offer incredible one-day specials. Visit your NEX each day to view unbelievable price cuts just in time for last minute shopping. Don’t miss out!
This reference to/explanation of the Twelve Days of Christmas couldn’t be more incorrect. The Twelve Days of Christmas DO NOT count the days BEFORE the holiday; they count the days AFTER the holiday. Christmas Day, December 25th, is Day 1 and Epiphany Eve, January 5th, is Day 12. January 6th, then, is Epiphany when the Church calendar commemorates the arrival of the Wise Men to greet the Christ child and give Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

So, the Christmas season actually extends from the first Sunday in Advent (a date that changes annually) until Epiphany in early January. Who says the celebration needs to end on December 26th?

Merry Christmas!

No comments: