Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Fireproofing Your Tree

I am a little late on this one. Maybe you can make use of it next year.

I found this recipe for fireproofing a Christmas tree on the bulletin board in the fellowship hall of the church where my daughter takes voice lessons. Do not omit any ingredients.
From Gordon Barnes, garden expert on radio station WTOP, Washington, D.C.

In a two-gallon bucket, mix:
- 1 gallon HOT water from the tap
- 1 pint clear Karo syrup
- 2 ounces chlorine bleach
- 2 pinches Epsom salts
- 1/2 teaspoon Twenty Mule Team Borax

Stir the formula well. Now cut off an inch or two from the bottom of your tree. Place the tree securely in the bucket of liquid out-of-doors. After five days, the tree will be fireproof. Fill your tree stand with this formula when you bring the tree indoors. Refill the stand with the formula when needed.

- via St. David’s Church
Baltimore, MD

No comments: