Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Squirrel for Christmas!

Yippee! After more than a month of trying to trap the squirrels in our attic (at last count, three or four), I believe my husband may have removed the last one. This morning after breakfast and gifts, we heard some thumping in the attic just above the kitchen table, the exact location of the HavaHart® live animal trap. When the noise became louder and more agitated, we knew we had succeeded in sequestering a varmint. Hopefully, prayerfully, this is the end of the squirrel saga.

Of course, trapping a squirrel is never good enough for my husband, aka Elmer Fudd. No, before carting the pest off to the woods/park a few miles from our home, my darling spouse decided to introduce Mr. Squirrel to our three cats. The two oldest were wise enough to keep their distance. Chopin, the youngest, wasn’t quite as bright. He very cautiously ventured up to the cage a couple of times, pupils dilated, ears forward, ready to pounce (or run) as the situation dictated. Chopin and the rodent both jumped at least once, startled by the movement/presence of the other. No one was injured.

Curiosity satisfied (for cat and owner), Sir Rodent was taken to his new abode, the exact location where we deposited his “girlfriend” a few days ago. Maybe they will find each other in the big woods by the school and populate the local area with even more furry houseguests. I can’t wait. Perhaps if I throw away the “Squirrels Welcome” sign on my open soffit, they will wander down Gooseberry Lane to another bed and breakfast that is more hospitable to rodents. Alas, all that awaits them here is a trap.

No comments: