Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Cats Rule!

This may be distressing news for dog lovers. A study from the Minnesota Stroke Institute at the University of Minnesota has suggested that cats prevail...at least when it comes to reducing the risk for heart attack and stroke. I was notified of this development in my daily Dr. Weil e-mail. Curious, I went looking for more information. This is what I found, an article from MedicineNet.com:
A new study shows that cat owners are less likely to die of a heart attack and other cardiovascular diseases than people who have never had a pet cat.

The findings emerged from an analysis of data on nearly 4,500 men and women, ages 30 to 75, who participated in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Study. All were free of cardiovascular disease when they entered the study in the 1970’s.

Over half, 55%, reported having a pet cat at some point in their lives.

Compared with cat owners, people who never had a pet cat were 40% more likely to die of a heart attack over the 20-year study period. They were also 30% more likely to die of any cardiovascular disease, including stroke, heart failure, and chronic heart disease.

The results held true even after the researchers took into account other risk factors for heart disease and stroke, including age, gender, race, blood pressure, and smoking.

The researchers found no such link for people who had a pet dog.
So, in the interest of healthier living, my canine fancying friends may want to adopt a cat from the Humane Society. Of course, that might put their dogs at increased risk for stress-related issues. Hmmm. I wonder if anyone has studied that phenomenon.

NOTE: Controlling high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes are also critical in the prevention and treatment of heart disease. Readers should always consult their physicians about their current or ongoing health concerns.

No comments: