Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

DYK? Flu Smarts

Do you know how to keep yourself from getting sick with the stomach flu when the virus knocks down your entire family? Here are some ideas from Dr. Weil.com. This advice comes from the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology:
1. Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizers containing at least 60% alcohol.

2. Disinfect surfaces (like doorknobs, light switches, and faucet handles) with a cleanser containing bleach.*

3. Wash raw food before eating; don’t eat food prepared by someone who has been sick until they have been symptom-free for 2-3 days.

4. Wash laundry in hot water and dry on high setting.

5. Quarantine sick family members; disinfect what they use.

6. Keep your house clean; disinfect surfaces regularly.
*I use this Shaklee product instead of one containing bleach, even though such use is contrary to the above recommendations. Please note: there is no evidence that a non-bleach product kills the norovirus that causes stomach flu. To be certain that the virus is eliminated, a product containing bleach is preferred.

No comments: