Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Winter Storm Destiny

What exactly is destiny anyway? Well, I found this definition on Dictionary.com:
des • ti • ny [des-tuh-nee]
--- noun, plural – nies.

1. something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.
2. the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.
3. the power or agency that determines the course of events.
4. (initial capital letter) this power personified or represented as a goddess.
5. the Destinies, the Fates.
Ok, that’s interesting, but what does it have to do with a winter storm? Why did the weather service name the latest storm “Destiny?” Because it was just our lot in life here in New England to get hammered by the latest blizzard? Or because it was inevitable that it would hit the Northeast? In that case, the weather service should name every blizzard Destiny, since by the time the storms get to New England, it seems pretty inevitable that we will be experiencing the effects of snow and ice. Is it because someone at the weather service thinks a “power or agency” has determined that a blizzard will hit here? I can’t necessarily argue with that since, as a Christian, I believe God controls everything. I do not, however, think that a goddess made the storm happen, or that the Fates of Greek mythology had anything to do with the storm dumping six inches of snow in my driveway.

Which brings me back to a form of my original question: why does the weather service name winter storms? My guess is so that meteorologists can more easily distinguish one winter weather event from another. Hey, if it makes their work easier and more organized, great. Just so they realize that some of us, non-meteorological types think the practice is somewhat corny.

At any rate, here is a picture from the latest winter storm to hit my backyard. I did not name the photo, in case you were wondering.

No comments: