Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

If Only!

Lately, I have been crazy busy with homeschooling and keeping up with some other goals I set for myself in 2008. Consequently, I haven’t checked the LiveStrong Blog on a regular basis. I did surf over there this morning, though, and found this entry, “Luke Armstrong’s Invention of the Day.” For those of you who may not know, Luke is Lance Armstrong’s oldest child. Apparently, Luke’s school has a cool program that Lance tells about:
...the kids have to sit down and think of an invention and write about it. Part of the fun is getting to draw their inventions on these shirts. So when I got home, Luke was wearing the T-shirt...

So, I said, “Luke, what’s up with that T-shirt?” And he said, “This is my invention. It’s a pill that cures cancer. You put the pill in a cup of water and it fizzes and bubbles. You drink the water and it cures the cancer.
The delivery system for young Mr. Armstrong’s cure reminded me of those old Alka-Seltzer commercials where the gentleman with indigestion sings “Plop, plop, fizz, fizz. Oh, what a relief it is.” What a relief it truly would be if the cure for any type of cancer were as simple as drinking a glass of water. If only!

Nice work, Luke. And, by the way, I like the t-shirt.

No comments: