Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Catch-up Saturday

This is the sixth in a series of seven postings chronicling a week in the life of a homeschooling family.

Saturday at my house is either a day to catch-up on tasks that weren’t completed during the “work week,” or a day for field trips and adventures. Occasionally, we try to squeeze in both work and fun, but not this Saturday. Today, we focused on catching up. Not that we were horribly successful at it, but we tried. This is what we accomplished:

MOM
Continued treating Katherine the Great for her first cold of the season

TEACHER: Homeschool
Algebra
American Literature: The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

WIFE
Began treating King Richard for a lower back spasm

FRIENDS/FAMILY
Spoke with sister about Christmas gift ideas
Spoke with neighbor about possible Christmas Party

CHURCH
Baked shortbread cookies for intergenerational discussion
Viewing and discussion of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

HOLIDAY PREPARATION
Online Christmas shopping
Christmas shopping at local brick-and-mortar stores

Setback of the day: running errands to locate a Thermacare pad for King Richard. He needed one to treat his back spasm. As I mentioned yesterday, I sometimes forget how much time it takes to be a caregiver.

Amusing moment of the day: none.

Tasks Left Undone at End of Day
Reading time: The Seven Checkpoints by Andy Stanley
Laundry
Any and all holiday preparations

Ah, tomorrow is Sunday, a rest day. I can’t wait.

No comments: