Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Restful Sunday

This is the last in a series of seven postings chronicling a week in the life of a homeschooling family.

Sunday, the first day of the week, or the last day of the week, depending on your perspective: a day of rest for Christians, game day for football fans, and comics/coupon day for my local newspaper. Here are some more interesting facts about Sunday that I found on the Internet:
In the Gregorian calendar, no century can start on a Sunday. In the Hebrew calendar, no year can start on a Sunday. Any month beginning on a Sunday will contain a Friday the 13th. --- Wikipedia

The phrase a month of Sundays refers to a long time. This expression, which would literally mean thirty weeks, has been used hyperbolically since it was first recorded in 1832. One wrtier suggests it originally connoted a long dreary time, since games and other kinds of amusement used to be forbidden on Sunday. --- Answers.com

The term Cannonball Sunday means a sparsely attended church service, especially immediately following Christmas. --- Double-Tongued Dictionary
Sunday, the end of my week, the day of rest, a time to recharge my batteries. If that was the goal, then my performance evaluation should reflect positively on my efforts because I had a very relaxing day: I didn’t have to cook; I was able to end my nursing duties for household illnesses; and I went to a local theater/playhouse that was a new venue for my family. All in all, a good day.

MOM
Ended cold treatment for Katherine the Great

TEACHER: Homeschool
Attended Fiddler on the Roof @ The Granite Theater

TEACHER: CHOOSE CT
Co-op class preparation: 1 John 4 Bible study

HOME MANAGER
(2) loads laundry
Folded jeans & hung shirts

FRIENDS/FAMILY
Dinner @ Friendly’s after Fiddler on the Roof
Attempted to make Sunday phone call to my mother (left message)

CHURCH
Intergenerational discussion about Christian worldview
Attended church service
Fellowship luncheon following church service
Reading time: The Seven Checkpoints by Andy Stanley

Setback of the day: None. All went smoothly. The only hiccup in the entire day was being a little rushed for church, and that is not a setback.

Amusing moment of the day: None in particular. The play had several amusing lines, but aside from that, it was a very low-key day. Nothing terribly amusing and nothing terribly challenging. It was, as I said above, a “Restful Sunday.”

Tasks Left Undone at End of Day
None

I hope this short chronicle of a week in my life wasn’t too annoying. It was a very unusual week, what with a sick child and a husband who was nursing a back spasm. Maybe I will do this again when life is more “normal,” like after the holidays. Take care and God bless. Have a great week!

No comments: