Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Cornmazing!

This afternoon, my daughter and I (and a few friends from our homeschool group), ventured to the Preston Farms Corn Maze in Preston, CT for a scavenger hunt amongst the stalks. Our mission was to locate 16 stamping stations, each named for a well-known guitarist: Elvis Presley, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi, Keith Urban, etc. Could you guess that the theme of the 2006 maze was Rock n' Roll, or that the maze was dubbed Cornstalk (you know, like Woodstock)? After almost an hour, I found only eight stations. My daughter located ten. None of us found all sixteen.

Preston Farms creates this maze every year, beginning the design process in the fall and finishing it before planting time in the spring. The corn is tall enough to open the maze to visitors in August and, generally, sturdy enough (though dead and dry) to allow "mazers" until early November. In fact, this weekend marks the end of the local mazing season.

If you would like to learn more about mazes (and labyrinths), check out these resources: Labyrinthos and the Labyrinth Society. For directions to the Preston Farms Corn Maze, click here. Have an amazing time!

No comments: