Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Quiet Tuesday

This is the second in a series of seven postings chronicling a week in the life of a homeschooling family.

If Monday is considered the most stressful day of the week (next to Friday), then Tuesday is a day to recover from that stress, right? I think so. That is why I set aside Tuesday as a “day off” or a “down day.” If need be, I will schedule dental appointments or do volunteer work but, mostly, I deliberately dedicate Tuesday as a “slow down” day, a stay-at-home day. Interestingly enough, if you investigate the origin of the word “Tuesday,” you discover that it comes from the Middle English word Twisday and, if traced back far enough, from the Latin phrase Martis dies meaning “Mar’s day.” Eventually, the word became associated with the planet Mars and the ideas of strife, battle, and stress; definitely not a “day off.” Oh well.

So what did I get accomplished on Twisday? Enough. Remember, my goal was to relax.

MOM
Volunteer time @ Malta Ministries
Wrote e-mail message to Mr. K re: Henkel/Behrens genealogy

TEACHER: Homeschool
Genealogy research
Algebra
Reading time: Blink by Ted Dekker

TEACHER: CHOOSE CT
Council meeting @ Friendly’s
Finalized Council meeting agenda
Finalized field trip to Henry Whitfield Museum
Purchased Degrees of Latitude Electronic Field Trip
CHOOSE CT website work
Baked one batch of shortbread cookies for support meeting

HOME MANAGER
Worked on folding & drying laundry (from 3 loads)
Updated financial records in computer
Paid November bills

FRIENDS/FAMILY
Spoke with my mother re: Henkel/Behrens genealogy
Visited website of newly found relative, Mr. K.
Visited with neighbor, JD, about her recent trip to Ireland

Setback of the day: my adorable family ate my shortbread cookies. Imagine that, they ate the freshly baked Christmas cookies that I left unattended and cooling in the kitchen. What were they thinking?! I guess that is what cookies are for --- eating. I suppose that also means that cookie baking is on my list for tomorrow night.

Great moment of the day: social time after the CHOOSE CT Council meeting. The six people who attended had an awesome time laughing about the subjects our children stumble across in their studies on any given day. Case in point: flatulence as a source of methane gas. Don't ask.

Tasks Left Undone at End of Day
One load of laundry (I really hate laundry)
Reading time: The Seven Checkpoints by Andy Stanley
Reading time: Blink by Ted Dekker
Any and all holiday preparation tasks

Hold onto your hats for tomorrow. Wednesday is my truly crazy day.

No comments: